Thursday, May 01, 2008

I'd Like To Thank the Academy...

Yeah, so when I received the engraved invitation to the volunteers' reception last month, I figured it was no big deal. I'm a registered volunteer on post, have been for a few years now. I thought this was a randomly generated invite. The RSVP deadline was approaching, but to find someone to watch the kids, wow. So I wasn't going to RSVP. Then Barbara called me. "Amy, did you get the invitation in the mail?" I couldn't deny it, and since she was at the planning meeting, I had to tell her on the spot that I'd be coming.

My friend Jenny agreed to keep the kids so Mary H could go with me. A few days later, Barbara called me again. "Security's going to be tight because our guest speaker is the Secretary of Defense's wife. All of the awardees have to be early, so make sure you're there by 12:30." That was my first real clue that I was receiving some kind of an award. Honestly. I kinda suspected it because Barbara had pressed me for an RSVP, but I wasn't sure.

So today was the reception. I didn't know what to expect, but I was excited. Honored, really. LTC (CH) Ahl (who wrote my recommendation for seminary) and his wife, Jane (PWOC president and my friend), were there, too. Jane said she only came to support me. Thanks, Jane! Secretary Gates was there with his wife--who kept her remarks minimal. (Thank you, Mrs. Gates!) One hundred sxity-two volunteers were recognized by the post commanding general, Major General Howard Bromberg. COL Rossi, Mrs. Bromberg, and Mrs. Rodgers (the command sergeant major's wife) shook our hands and gave us our certificates and coins.

I had to apologize to Barbara for not realizing how 'big a deal' this really was. I think tonight we'll celebrate with something that can be delivered.


Barbara Cotton, the Protestant Director of Religious Education, nominated me for the Helping Hands award. Barbara helps me with PWOC, but she's in charge of Sunday school and VBS for all of post. So she's kind of my boss, too.




The certificate reads, " Celebrate Volunteers Certificate of Appreciation is presented to Amy Crossman, Helping Hand Service Award, Religious Actitivies--In recognition of your unwavering devotion and outstanding service to the community from April 2007 to March 2008. Your selfless service has improved the quality of life for the Soldiers and Family members of Team Bliss. The commitment and dedication that you exemplify is a proud tradition of the United States Army." General Bromberg signed it! The coin reads, "U.S. Army Volunteer Corps A Tradition of Service" on one side and "Fort Bliss Army Volunteer Corps Serving the Nation" on the other.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis,
Congrats on the award!! Erin J.

Roger Eugene and Susan said...

Amy, good to see you! Dad and I are so proud of you and all that you accomplish. May God continue to bless you with energy to serve others! Lots of love, Mom

Unknown said...

Congrats ont he award! Blessings as you bless others!

Jaena said...

Wow, Amy, congratulations! :)

Kim and Mike said...

Wow! Congratulations!

Terhune Family said...

How cool! Sorry I haven't checked your blog in so long...