Saturday, May 12, 2007

I've been tagged by Amy (W)!

So I guess that means I'm 'it' for now. :)

The Rules:
1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
3. At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

1. I have attended PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel--Bible study) for 4 years and am just now getting to know people and to volunteer my talents to support the ministry. Of course most of my new acquaintances are PCSing this summer (permanent change of station--aka MOVING--it's acceptable to add 'ing' to several Army terms, thus creating new words and breaking many grammar rules). So I have to start all over....

2. For 2 years, I was in FRG (Family Readiness Group) leadership. I quit because dealing with ignorant military spouses who had no desire to educate themselves frustrated me. Well, that, and Barry was traded to another unit. Now I'm in the middle of AFTB training (Army Family Team Building) so I can be a certified Army know-it-all. :) Seriously, though, eventually I'd love to volunteer as a mentor-teacher through ACS (Army Community Services)--helping spouses who care and want to learn more about surviving military life.

3. I started blogging to keep up with Kari and because Robin made a comment about her world not being complete without me. Just kidding--I don't hold that kind of power. But it's been great to reconnect with old friends. Somehow ELP doesn't seem so far away now.

4. My favorite coffee shop item is a spiced chai latte with whipped cream. And my drink snobbery has rubbed off on my children. Sydney no longer asks for Italian sodas--she prefers iced chai, and Bryce loves gourmet hot chocolate "that's not too hot." Any coffee served at my house is either Gevalia or Millstone (but only if all the Gevalia is gone), and my tea is gourmet, too (unless it's cold, then it's Tetley). Thanks, Angela & Laura, for opening my eyes to the glories of quality beverage.

5. The laundry hamper I took to college as a freshman almost 13 years ago died last week. I was sad and considered writing a poem about it. I still may.

6. Army acronyms are annoying. Soldiers use gazillions of them. But amazingly Army-speak is second-nature now. When Barry says, "I need a copy of my LES for my OIC before our FTX," I don't need a translation. Scary.

7. Jamie and I are writing 2 books! One's a devotional for military families to help them find God's provision during deployments, and the second is an accompanying Bible study. No one's surprised by this, but I'm sure they're hoping this means I'll want to talk less and write more.

8. In 2 years, we'll be moving! We joined the Army to see the world (and to have some financial stability) and have been at Ft Bliss ever since. But Texas must be our destiny...Ft Hood is just 13 hours east. Which, of course, means it's in TEXAS. I may have to give up my IN license plates & driver's license, concede, and become a registered Texan.

Since I have to tag now, here goes:

Bekah

Kari

Robin

Kim

Laura (who doesn't have a blog but can certainly leave hers in a comment!)

Mom :) (you can leave yours in a comment, too)

7 comments:

Terhune Family said...

Mom heard something about an Indiana tax credit or deduction for military from Indiana. Don't convert to Texas too soon!

Amy said...

We've been able to deduct $2000 from our adjusted gross income on our IN tax returns ever since Barry's been active duty--we always get a state refund. But if we're strictly talking taxes, we're stupid for not declaring TX residency sooner--TX doesn't have state income tax. What's stopped us, then? We haven't spent enough on IN taxes and vehicle registrations to make transferring residency worth it. However, if we're going to live in TX for another 13 years, we probably should just do it.

Amy said...

Hi Amy!
It was fun to read your post. I got addicted to "special coffee" about two years ago. It has to be loaded with all the good stuff to suit me. Thanks for playing along . . . Amy

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Hehe.. glad your a coffee snob now too!

Anonymous said...

Tea is such a wonderful thing to be picky about. Next I'll convert you to fruity/herbal iced teas! Yummmm!

~Laura

Bekah said...

Hey! I finally caught up to my tagging. Post accomplished!

Anonymous said...

Amy....what do you mean, "I've been tagged!" You know I can't run!! ha ha......By the way....the instructions to comment came up in CZECH!!!! UGH!!!! Hope you get this! I so enjoy reading your blog....God surely by-passed me with the communication club so He could give it all to you!!! Keep writing...you have a wonderful gift! 1. All my talents were transferred to my daughters. 2. I like CONSTANT COMMENT TEA on cold wet days along with cheesecake. 3.My grandkids always bring a smile to my face! 4. To feel good about yourself in CZ you have to be thin, but shapely, and willing to flaunt everything you have--no matter your age! 5. Public transportation is relaxing here-no fighting traffic and they always get the right-of-way! 6. Getting phone calls at 2 AM scare me to death--the caller from the US doesn't realize there is a 6-hour time difference and we're ahead. 7. Don't pray the Prayer of Jabez unless you are serious...look where I landed...BUT it's wonderful to be used of God no matter where you are! 8. Did I catch on to the game? If not....it just proves that I'm a slow learner...and you'll never ask me to play another game!! TAG...Amy, you're it, again!! And I don't have the energy to run after more people! Mom