One of Syd's 'to-do' items in grammar this year is mastering the metaphor. Specifically, she's been working on similes. (For those of you who don't remember, a simile is a metaphor that uses 'like' or 'as.') She's been, well, uncreative in her attempts at writing similes. I've run out of ideas, teaching methods, examples.
And then came yesterday.
We were walking through Wal-Mart because, to be honest, I was bored. Barry's been working 18-hour days, and yesteday he didn't come home at all. I desperately needed to get out! So we found our way to Wal-Mart.
While searching for sympathy and birthday cards, Syd blurted out, "Mom, Jesus is like my white blood cells."
I'm sure you can imagine my facial expression. I stopped the cart, and tilted my head to one side. "What?"
"You know, white blood cells."
"Yes, Syd. I know what white blood cells are."
By this time, she's exasperated. "You told me my mosquito bites got swollen because my white blood cells were fighting the germs."
"OK..."
"Mom! Jesus fights the bad stuff in me, too--just like the white blood cells!"
So there you have it. Jesus is like the body's immune system.
And don't get me wrong: I'm thankful she understands that Jesus saves us from ourselves. But I'm equally as impressed that she remembered what white blood cells do. Only the overactive mind of an eight year old could connect the two. Using simile, nonetheless.
Now, how can we connect Jesus to math?
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
If you find a way to connect Math and Jesus, maybe I can understand it better. I'm really impressed with Sydney, that she put all that together. I think you have one smart cookie!
WOW! That is impressive and what a great lesson for us all! Keep up the good work with Syd.
As for math, well the animals came two by two to the ark and God told Adam to multiply, but that's all I got for ya! hehehe
Another deep thinker in the family! I'm sure Jesus smiled at Sydney's insight!! Mom
I'm sure Jesus chuckled at Sydney's insight! She's right on!! Mom
Hey! How are things going! We need a catch-up with the fam!
Post a Comment