"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2
Every so often my brother-in-law Bryan sends thoughts from Iraq. Today I received his latest, a flashback. He shared a humorous story from a fishing trip he and Barry took with their dad and "uncle" Jim. His mind wandered through past experiences to summon positive feelings and thoughts. And perhaps to live in a less sandy and less dangerous time and place for a whlie. Memories are powerful. This one provided comfort for a weary soldier.
I've heard the story before; I've witnessed the bantering between Rod & Jim firsthand. Barry and Bryan are no different when they feed off each other. Hysterical! But reading this familiar tale, I didn't laugh. Instead, I fought a huge lump in my throat.
Bryan's fine; Barry's fine. But so many soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen have given up luxuries like fishing trips and watching their kids grow up. And Barry and Bryan are among them.
Psalm 91 is the Soldier's Psalm. If you're not familiar with it, read it, pray it. Claim it for yourself, then pray it again for all the men and women who are voluntarily protecting you. Specifically, pray for Bryan and his soldiers as they serve in Iraq. Bryan's R&R is coming soon; pray that he and Mo will enjoy their time together with Maddy and baby Luke. And remember Barry as he makes crucial career decisions in the next few months and as he prepares himself and his soldiers for their upcoming year in Korea.
We do not live in fear, but sometimes life is overwhelming. Barry and Bryan (probably Papa Rod and Uncle Jim, too) will share many adventures with all the kids. And they will be blessed with funny memories to recall when circumstances are less than ideal. More importantly, though, they'll know their dad and uncle believed and trusted God's promises.
As always, thank you for your love and support.
***Our Bible study is collecting toiletries for wounded soldiers sent to our Army hospital. Most are without any of their personal belongings for 24-48 hours after arriving. They need toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, lotion, shaving cream, and razors. If you feel led to help provide some of these necessities, please email me. If you don't have my email address, leave a note under comments.
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amy,
I don't know if you remember me.... I go to CWC, my husband Lloyd went to college with Rod, and my son is the same age as Bryan. My brother-in-law just got back from Iraq in December, so our family understands the concern and prayers that engage the hearts of a military person's family.
Psalm 91 is a favorite of mine, and has been for years. To me, it's a reminder that often God's protection is so thorough, we weren't even aware we needed it!
Praying for the Crossmans and those in their circle of influence.
Post a Comment