Friday, November 03, 2006

Broken Eggs, Not Broken Spirits

Life is more challenging than usual when Barry's gone. I find myself incredibly stressed out and exhausted from days with little adult conversation and even less help. Yesterday was one of those days (sorry for the cliche), and by bedtime, I was wondering why I had kids.

After dealing with the back talk and bad attitudes, I decided today would be different. I'd yelled more than I like to yesterday, so today would be a day of harsh action discipline. Time out. No TV. No sleepover. No fun.

Then Bryce ran into the living room in a panic. "Look what the babies are doing!" I followed him into the kitchen where I found Bryan and Brady happily crushing egg shells and playing in the goo. Lovely, I thought, egg yolk paintings. Haven't I talked myself out of harming my kids enough? Why does God torment me?

"Bryan!" I said firmly (not yelling, by the way). He and Brady both looked up with the goofiest grins. My heart didn't melt (yet another cliche), but any frustration I felt started fading.

I grabbed Brady (whose entire front was covered in egg gut) by the back of his sleeper and carried him to the bathroom. Bryan followed, and the two played in bubbles, probably thinking I was rewarding them for their kitchen creativity.

After the babies were rediapered, I returned to assess the damage in the kitchen. What I found surprised me: Syd was on her hands and knees, spoons in hand, scooping up egg shells and whatever yolk & white she could, then dumping the salmonella-carrying raw food into the sink.

Wow.

"It was mine and Brycey's plan," she said. "I wanted to help clean up the mess, even though I didn't make it. Bryce helped, too. I like to help you."

Again, wow.

I helped her finish then mopped the floor. "Thank you, Syd. I love you!" I hugged her then instructed her to wash her hands well. For once, she didn't argue.

God knew what I needed--a huge reminder that my kids are good kids. Now, if I could just get an 8-hour nap.....






Don't Bryan & Brady look so proud?



Sydney used spoons to pick up egg shells. She didn't want to touch anything gross.

6 comments:

Terhune Family said...

Moments like these are what cameras are made for (and yes, I ended the sentence with a preposition.) Tell Syd and Bryce that I'm proud of them - not that they will care, but I am proud!

Robin said...

Priceless! Both the expressions on Bryan and Brady's faces, and the help from Sydney and Bryce!

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Oh how I wish you guys lived closer!

jenny marvin mealy said...

Thanks for the honesty-I've been struggling with the attitude issue lately and your story was a pick me up for me.

Bekah said...

TOO cute story!!! Love the pictures too!!

Jaena said...

Wow, Amy! What a great story. Go Sydney & Bryce! I love it when God reminds me that (by His grace), I do have good kids and that we are doing *something* right. Sounds like you are too! :-)