Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Pancakes: The Power Food

These are so yummy! Scroll down a few posts to see Brady eating them if you don't believe me!

I don't remember where I got this recipe--somewhere online, so my apologies for not properly crediting the cook from whose kitchen this originated.

1 c sifted flour (I don't sift--I'm lazy)
1 T sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon (I recommend doubling; I actually use Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus.)
1 c milk
1/2 c canned pumpkin
2 beaten egg yolks
2 T melted butter
2 stiffly beaten egg whites

Sift (or vigorously whisk--an old baker's trick!) together dry ingredients. Combine with wet; fold in egg whites.

This makes 8 pancakes, so I have to double the recipe to feed all my kids. Two apiece just aren't enough.

If you don't have Pampered Chef's Cinnamon Plus, I'd use a pumpkin pie spice mix. Not too much, but with just cinnamon, the pancakes are kind of bland. Last year my mother-in-law bought us a dry mix that had finely chopped walnuts in it. Those panakes were incredible, so add walnuts to balance the carbs and add some protein!

We eat them plain (honestly!) or with butter and maple syrup.

My kids love pumpkin, and I'm not complaining. We've all heard about the benefits of eating pumpkin. As we enjoy other pumpkin recipes, I'll share them. But not my grandma's pumpkin pie. That's a guarded family secret!

1 comment:

Kim and Mike said...

These sound so good! I'm going to have to try them! The only things I've been wanting to eat lately for supper is baked potatoes or pancakes! Thanks for the recipe!